Best Golf Courses in ArizonaBy azgolfer • Jul 21st, 2023
Below is a list of some of the best golf courses in Arizona, ranked by our team of writers here at Arizona Golf Vacations.
We rank golf courses among many factors that we go in depth below. This is a list of amazing desert style golf courses that are among the best around in Arizona. We look forward to you playing them and getting the chance to see what makes them so unique.
Best Arizona Golf Courses:
- Troon North Golf Club: A golfer’s haven, Troon North Golf Club offers 36 holes of golf with the Monument and Pinnacle courses. Besides the immaculate fairways and greens, the club is renowned for its breathtaking views of the iconic Pinnacle Peak, enhancing the overall charm of the venue.
- Grayhawk Golf Club: A golfer’s paradise awaits at Grayhawk Golf Club, boasting two exceptional 18-hole courses – the Talon and Raptor, both masterfully crafted by the renowned Tom Fazio. Enjoy the perfect fusion of thrilling play and picturesque scenery as you weave through lush fairways, breathtaking desert vistas, and immaculate greens.
- Ventana Canyon Golf Club: Tucked away in the awe-inspiring Santa Catalina Mountains, Ventana Canyon Golf Club presents two unforgettable courses – the Mountain and Canyon. Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature as you tee off amidst majestic saguaro cacti and stunning landscapes, creating an enchanting golfing experience at every swing.
- We-Ko-Pa Golf Club: If you seek an authentic desert golf adventure, look no further than We-Ko-Pa Golf Club’s Cholla and Saguaro courses. Surrounded by unspoiled natural beauty and without any intrusive real estate, these 18-hole gems offer an unparalleled opportunity to connect with nature while honing your golf skills.
- Quintero Golf Club: Designed by the esteemed Rees Jones, Quintero Golf Club offers an awe-inspiring golfing journey seamlessly integrated into the surrounding desert scenery. Meander through the natural terrain and elevation changes, and relish the challenge while enjoying breathtaking views at every turn.
- Wickenburg Ranch Golf & Social Club: As a newer addition to Arizona’s top courses, Wickenburg Ranch Golf & Social Club, designed by Bill Brownlee and Wendell Pickett, promises an unforgettable experience. With its captivating layout and stunning vistas, this course quickly earns a spot on any golfer’s must-play list.
- Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club: Embark on an exciting golfing journey at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes, a remarkable links-style course thoughtfully designed by Schmidt-Curley. Discover a challenging yet rewarding experience as you navigate strategic bunkers and undulating fairways, all set against the backdrop of the desert landscape, creating a truly distinctive and memorable golf outing.
- TPC Scottsdale: Home to the legendary Waste Management Phoenix Open, TPC Scottsdale features not one but two 18-hole courses – the Champions and Stadium. Test your skills on this challenging layout while being surrounded by beautiful scenery, creating a golfing experience to cherish.
- The Boulders: Set amidst the captivating Sonoran Desert, The Boulders presents two 18-hole golf courses boasting unique rock formations and natural beauty. The South course, currently the only public option, promises an unforgettable round amidst a truly stunning backdrop.
- Gold Canyon Dinosaur Mountain: A true scenic wonder, Gold Canyon Dinosaur Mountain lives up to its name, nestled amidst ancient rock formations with the majestic Superstition Mountains as a backdrop. Engage in a captivating golfing experience, surrounded by the beauty of nature at every hole.
Arizona Golf Course Ranking Factors:
- Course Design and Layout: The arrangement and structure of the course, as well as the strategic placement of obstacles, significantly influence the level of challenge and enjoyment it offers to players.
- Course Condition: The overall playing experience is heavily impacted by the regular maintenance and upkeep of the fairways, greens, bunkers, and rough.
- Scenery and Setting: Embracing the natural beauty and aesthetics of the golf course, especially in regions like Arizona with captivating desert landscapes, can greatly enhance the allure and appeal of the golfing experience.
- Course Difficulty: The ranking of a golf course is strongly influenced by the level of challenge it presents, including factors such as course length, presence of hazards, and the speed of the greens.
- Golf Course Reputation: The opinions and shared experiences of golfers, professionals, and industry experts significantly contribute to shaping a golf course’s reputation and overall standing.
- History and Tradition: The historical significance and adherence to golfing traditions can add a unique charm to a golf course and carry weight in determining its ranking.
- Tournament Hosting: Golf courses that have hosted esteemed tournaments or events often earn higher rankings due to the recognition and competitive spirit they attract.
- Facilities and Amenities: The quality of practice areas, clubhouse, dining options, and other amenities on offer can greatly impact a golf course’s overall ranking and desirability.
- Customer Experience: Factors like exceptional customer service, appropriate pace of play, and overall enjoyment contribute significantly to the ranking and reputation of a golf course.
It’s important to always check current conditions of golf courses before planning a golf trip to Arizona. Additionally, availability, green fees, and reservation requirements might have changed, so make sure to contact the courses directly for the most up-to-date information. The game is changing.